Tuesday, April 10, 2007

a street car desire

A Street Car Named Desire

After watching the movie titled A Street Car Named desire, it gives me a clearer picture of the content of the play. While reading though printed text, I could not get the picture of the characters’ traits, especially Blanche’s. During the lesson in class, we have come out that Blanche is desperate for love. Unfortunately, I am unable to understand why she is given the character trait. After the movie, I reread the play again and found out that I need to read for several times to get the connotative meaning of Blanche’s character traits.
Since the movie is screen in black and white colour, it is quite boring. I only notice the actions of the characters. Blanche character’s traits are fully express through verbally and non-verbally. The actor who acted as Blanche has played a good job by bringing the character alive in the play. The facial expression that can be seen as well as her tone in speech clearly indicates that she is a liar, a desperate woman and has the power to control Stella. She is portrayed as a strong character in the play.
Through watching the movie, it also portrays that Stanley is a person who acted like an animal. In the text, Stanley is always portrayed as having animal traits through his actions. In the movie, the actor well portrayed his character where he does acted as describe in the printed text. In contrast of him been described like an animal, he is a handsome looking actor in the movie. Almost all my classmates were attracted by his appearance.
In conclusion, through watching movie and reading the text, both give me a different thought. From the text, I could not really analyze the characters’ traits although through deep analyzes. On the other hand, from watching the movie, there are also some elements that are different from the printed text. Hence, it is important to compare between the text with the movie.